When a lay-off occurs, an Informational Meeting may be conducted by the Region 1 Rapid Response Team. At this meeting, information is provided to inform you of services available in helping you re-enter the workforce. These services are also available in our career centers.
• Unemployment Compensation (UC): Unemployment Compensation is designed to provide benefits to eligible persons who are temporarily unemployed through no fault of their own, and who would be employed full-time if suITA (Individual Training Account / Scholarship)ble jobs were available. Visit their website at www.wvbep.org/bep/uc/cinfo.htm for additional information.
• Job Seeking and Re-Employment Assistance: Nationwide job openings, resume writing and internet access are available in the Resource Center at each of our WORKFORCE West Virginia Career Centers. Individual employment counseling, Job Search Workshops and interviewing preperation are just a few of the many free services avalible at the career centers.For a location nearest you click on “One Stop Career Centers”above.
• Skills Upgrading / Training: If needed, referrals may be made to the Adult Learning Center to upgrade basic skills and assistance in obtaining a GED before entering the workforce or occupational training. For a location nearest you click on”One Stop Career Centers” above. Other links www.wvabe.org also www.advantageged.com
• Coal Related Industry Layoffs : Individuals who are laid off from a coal related industry such as coal mines, machine shops, coal trucking, may be referred to your local Workforce Advisor and the UMWA Career Center for additional assistance. For a location nearest you click on “One Stop Career Centers” above.
• Tuition Assistance / Financial Aid: Workforce Advisers have the tools necessary to determine potential eligibility for the following funding sources: PELL Grants, Scholarships, Workforce Investment Act (WIA), Trade Act Assistance (TAA) or other alternative funding. For a location nearest you click on “One Stop Career Centers”above.
• Financial and Credit Counseling: Contact information is available at each of our WORKFORCE West Virginia Career Centers to anyone seeking credit counseling. For a location nearest you click on “One Stop Career Centers”above.
• Healthcare Assistance: Brochures and contact information are available in our Resource Center at each WORKFORCE West Virginia Career Centers for CHIPS, Rx for WV, “Partnership for Prescription Assistance” and Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC). For a location nearest you click on “One Stop Career Centers”above.
• Child Care Assistance: Contact information is available at our WORKFORCE West Virginia career centers on eligibility requirements for child care assistance. For a location nearest you click on “One Stop Career Centers”above.
• Rehabilation Services: Provides services to people with disabilities to assist them in preparation for and in obtaining appropriate employment. They offer vocational evaluations to help a person decide on a job goal, training and other needed services to help a person prepare for work. When a person is ready for employment WVDRS provides assistance in locating employment in the chosen vocational goal. For a location nearest you click on “One Stop Career Centers” above. You may also call 1-800-642-8207
Using WorkKeys unique job profiling component along with the assessments, we are able to show how a person’s skills compare to a specific job requirements.
For additional information visit their website: www.act.org/workkeys/index.html